Home Forums Newsletter Plugin Support iCal invitations as attachments

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Corrado Fiore
    Participant

Hi All,

I know attachments are not allowed and the rationale behind it makes sense. However, there is a specific corner case where attachments would make sense: iCal files.

This is my user story: as an event organiser, I want to attach an iCal file to my newsletter when I am promoting an event.

The technical rationale is that most email clients will parse an .ICS attachment automatically and will let the user easily add the event to their calendar, thus maximising the chances of attendance. If the .ICS file is just one of the links in the newsletter instead, the whole process becomes manual and cumbersome.

An .ICS file is just a few hundreds bytes long, so there is no risk of compromising the user experience (if anything, it will be improved).

Bonus points if the .ICS file could be generated directly from the newsletter editing page, through an iCal file generator similar to https://ical.marudot.com/. No need to allow uploads, filter for extensions/MIME types, etc.

Thank you.

Stefano
    Keymaster

Hi, thank you for sharing. Time ago I thought about invitations, but they require an attachment so I need to change several things in the plugin core (and in all delivery integrations).
    It could be that autumn is the right time to rethink it! 🙂

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.